Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu ... just one!

Rutger van Haasteren vhaasteren at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:54:07 UTC 2008

> That's it!
> I have a Ubunto screen when I start the computer. It then switches to
> blue with the four choices. I even tried Kubuntu (after I'd deleted
> everything) and it came up. Then I came back to Ubunto. This is insane.

Rick, what exactly is your problem? First of all, Ubuntu and Kubuntu are one
and the same, just Ubuntu with either GNOME or KDE. I'm sure you know this,
but try to be specific.

When the computer boots, you see a boot screen. If you have a problem with
the version it shows (for whatever reason, what does it matter?), you can
reconfigure it like this in a terminal:

$ sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

There are 2 alternatives which provide `usplash-artwork.so'.

  Selection    Alternative
      1        /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-default.so
*+    2        /usr/lib/usplash/kubuntu-splash.so

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Then you end up in one of the desktop managers. The one from which you can
choose between the desktop environment (like KDE, GNOME, XFCE). Again, I'm
not sure why you would resent having a choice, but they all do basically the
same (KDM, GDM etc.). If you want to choose one over the other, use _one_ of
the following (to choose either gdm or kdm).

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Then you end up in a desktop environment like GNOME or KDE. In Windows you
simply do not have this choice. In linux, just choose one and learn it, you
will be happy. You can run _all_ programs in all environments, so no need to
install additional ones.

> predictable system that already does everything I need. If I succeed in
> the automatic login I'll continue, although frankly it's absurd to spend
> so much time on a system just to get minimum functionality.

That is because you are new to the system. How long did it take you to learn
windows? And you should try to bring Windows back in it's original state
after a year of use. And do not say "system-recovery" :). Just uninstall
stuff with synaptic (if the launchers still work, you did not delete the
programs). I never spend this much time on a new Ubuntu install. I just
install Ubuntu and install my preferred programs; it's done in a snap.

Please feel free to ask more, but try to be specific.

Rutger