Help with Switching from Windows

Jim Rosser jarosser06 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 20:58:02 UTC 2008

Maybe a bad CD, i guess one way you might check, i dont know that it will
make a difference is to see if the CD autoruns in windows.  If nothing else
it will tell you something works.  Sorry i cant be of more help, Good Luck
tho

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Matthew Bartek <matthew.bartek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello and good afternoon.
>
> I apologize if this question is very basic and is getting sent to many
> people as I am new to Ubuntu and to this listserv. I am trying to switch
> from Windows (read: liberate myself) and I ahve downloaded the iso file,
> verified it using md5sum (spelling?), and have tried to create a bootable
> cd, but it hasn't worked. While this problem could be with my computer (the
> computer that I want to load Ubuntu onto is basically broken--I tried to
> reset the boot order, but it said "operating system not found" unless I
> allowed it to boot from the hard disk), I am wondering how to check to see
> if the cd that I created from teh iso file will actually work. I actually
> made two: one using the windows XP cd burning system, and one using Nero.
> For the windows disc, I dragged the file into my CD drive and then clicked
> on: "burn disc". For Nero (I have version 7), I followed these instructions:
> http://www.bay-wolf.com/burnimage.htm
>
> Still, when my put the cd in my computer and try to boot from it, it fails.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Matt