Ubuntu Server 8: Managing users & groups: How to?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 02:51:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:03 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 07/01/2008 03:44 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
>

> > Thanks everyone, this has been extremely helpful.
> >

> You might also find these helpful:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/user-management.html
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training
> [this last is for the desktop course, but you might want to book mark it
> and see if they eventually add a server course later on - warning: the
> large pdf's are 72.5Mb]

One last question that I just thought of:

I know to add users, you use adduser.
I know to delete users, you use deluser.

However, how can I list the current users on the system, much like "ls -lh"?
Right now the only way I can view users on my system is to do "vim
/etc/passwd", however I don't feel safe doing this... I would prefer a
read-only method if it is available.