Stuttering video?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jan 30 17:14:08 UTC 2008

Do other people notice performance "difficulties" with tasks like
viewing YouTube videos on Firefox with Ubuntu 7.10?  I notice that on my
system (more than a gig of RAM, it's at least 1.1 ghz for the processor)
there's quite a bit of stutter.  The system load isn't high at the time.
  Is this a limitation of the plugins for Linux Firefox?  I'd wonder if
it's my broadband connection, but the meter at the bottom of the player
shows that there's quite a bit of cached video ahead of the current read
point.

My daughter has a system that, while not as high as my system is
comparable to the specs I named above and she complains about this issue
  (running xubuntu 7.10); it should have more than enough horsepower to
play these videos under Windows, but I don't know why it would stutter
under Xubuntu (and my system with Ubuntu) unless it's a problem with the
implementation of the plugin or codec running in Firefox or I have
something misconfigured.