Problem With "Install and Remove Applications"

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Jan 30 16:08:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 08:18 -0800, Pooya Davoodi wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I am a new user to ubuntu. I want to install an application through
> "Install and Remove Applications" in ubuntu 7.10. When I click on the
> checkbox of any application, a message box appears with the following
> text:
>
> The list of applications is not availabe
> Click on 'Reload' to load it. To reload the list you need a working
> internet connection.
>
> this has two buttons: Refresh and Close.
> I am connected to the internet with ADSL. when I press the Refresh
> button, a window for downloading the package opens and very rapidly
> closes and after that the package still is not checked and the status
> is like the status before click on the checkbox.
>
> I don't know how to install the package.
> I appreciate you if can resolve my problem.
>
> Best regards.
>
> -Pooya Davoodi

What is the name of the package? It sounds like you may need to enable
some of the software sources now.

If you could run Synaptic Package Manager, press  'Settings', press
'Repositories', click on the checkbox for the first 4 items under
Downloadable from the Internet:
(main), (universe), (restricted), (multiverse)
and uncheck Cdrom box. Click on close, then click on 'Reload'. Now you
should be able to load the package from here or "Install and Remove
Applications".

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz