Recommended specs for Gutsy

debian debiani386 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:25:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 11:15 +0000, chombee wrote:
> Is there a recommended specification for a computer to run Ubuntu Gutsy
> well, detailing the hardware you need to run it well? (Without needing
> the new graphical effects).
>
> I found this wiki page
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
>
> which has specs for Feisty. But here the recommended system requirements
> are (to run a graphical version of ubuntu well):
>
> * 500 MHz x86 processor
> * 192 MB of system memory (RAM)
> * 8 GB of disk space
> * Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
> * Sound card
> * A network or Internet connection
>
> In my experience that is totally unrealistic. Certainly a standard
> install of Ubuntu will not run well with less than 512MB RAM. I recently
> setup a PC with a 1.7GHZ CPU and 512MB RAM and users complained that it
> was too slow to use. I thought it was fine personally, but I wasn't the
> one using it every day, and the same machine with 256MB RAM was
> definitely unusably slow (i.e. you could make a cup of tea in the time
> it takes Firefox to open, and don't even think about Open Office).

well, ubuntu will run ion 192, but painfully slow, i recommend that you
atleast have 512, or 1 gig just for the speed.

btw, i notice that "trackerd" slows down my machine, so what i did was
just disable it run loading at boot time. that decreased the time it
took to boot ubuntu and the time it took to load other programs.

hth
--cj