Recommended specs for Gutsy

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Wed Jan 30 14:06:14 UTC 2008

chombee wrote:
> Is there a recommended specification for a computer to run Ubuntu Gutsy
> well, detailing the hardware you need to run it well? (Without needing
> the new graphical effects).
>
> I found this wiki page
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
>
> which has specs for Feisty. But here the recommended system requirements
> are (to run a graphical version of ubuntu well):
>
> * 500 MHz x86 processor
> * 192 MB of system memory (RAM)
> * 8 GB of disk space
> * Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
> * Sound card
> * A network or Internet connection
>
> In my experience that is totally unrealistic. Certainly a standard
> install of Ubuntu will not run well with less than 512MB RAM. <snip>

I didn't find the hardware requirement information for Gutsy either, but
what I can tell is the following: I'm currently running XUbuntu 7.10
(gutsy) on a PII 300Mhz with 320Mb of RAM and 6Gb of hard disk. It is a
bit slow on startup, but very usable... Since the cd-rom drive of this
machine doesn't like to read an entire CD, I've installed with the
"minimal CD" image and downloading the packages from the mirrors...

On this same machine, I ran Ubuntu (with Gnome desktop) too, back to
Feisty release.  It was still usable, but it was slow... This machine
*IS* way below specs, but IS working... I think with Linux, it all
depends on what you want from your machine...

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 361906