Transfer of Firefox and Thunderbird data

Sam Fielder srf10130 at vtc.vsc.edu
Mon Jan 28 21:26:56 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Hello and my name is Karl Larsen and I am just changing from Fedora
> to Ubuntu Linux. The setup of Ubuntu was simple and getting a root
> access was tricky but it is all good now. Fully updated last night.
>
>     Transferring both Firefox and Thunderbird details was easy going
> from Fedora versions but nothing works transferred to Ubuntu. Version
> wise the Firefox is 2.0.0.10 and Thunderbird is 2.0.0.9 and both from
> yum to the Fedora servers.
>
>     The Ubuntu Firefox and Thunderbird were apt-get install from the
> Ubuntu servers. Here is the problem.
>
>     Firefox stores it's information in /user/.moxilla and I put my F8
> .mozilla in place of the original and now Firefox will not come up. I
> can fix this by deleting /user/.mozilla and letting a new one be made.
> What can I replace in .mozilla that will give it all the saved pages
> from the older?
>
>     Thunderbird is also odd. In Fedora it's data is saved in
> /user/.thunderbird/. The Ubunto Thunderbird seems not to like the older
> data.
>
>     Has anyone had success with this kind of thing?
>
> Karl

if you have access to your old home directory (fedora) enable hidden
files in your window manager. there will be two folders you need to copy
and bring over to your new (ubuntu installation), their names are
.mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird. I don't run fedora, so i don't have
the exact location, sorry.

once you have those two files, open your window manager and browse to
your home directory.
go to View-->Show hidden files.

the trick here is to let firefox and thunderbird complete installing
themselves.
all you need to do is open firefox and shut it down once and it will
complete the install. (do the same with thunderbird. you will need to
setup a bogus account)
once the programs are done installing, you will see that they have
created a .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird folder in your home directory

from there you should be able to copy your old profile into the new
folder and setup the profile.ini to point to the correct place.

hope it helps

sam

PS
if you are going to dual boot you can just change the profile.ini to
point to the old location on your disk by specifying the full path and
setting is relative to 0.
that way you can use the same profile(s) on both machines which is very
handy.(works with windows too)