DHCP and PEER_DNS

sukadev at us.ibm.com sukadev at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 19 23:12:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

I just migrated to Ubuntu Gutsy from Fedora Core 6.

I used DHCP on FC6 and am continuing to do so on Ubuntu.

On FC6, I used to add any additional domains to /etc/resolv.conf
'search' line and set set PEERDNS=no in the ifcfg-eth0 line.
This would preserve my additional domains across network
restarts.

I am not sure how to do the same on Ubuntu. I searched a bit
in the documentation and could not find anything specific.

I saw something about running "Network Manager", but when
I try to run Network Manager from my kubuntu desktop it
does not let me edit the settings possibly bc I am not root.

I click on the "Admin mode' button at the bottom of the screen.
It prompts me for password and then goes back to the same
state. i.e I still cannot edit the network settings.

Appreciate any help/pointers

Sukadev