Install Ubuntu from Windows

Rutger van Haasteren vhaasteren at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:52:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:09 AM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Bob Cortez wrote:
> | Anyone have any experience using WUBI?
> http://wubi-installer.org/index.php
> |
> | I found this article
> |

> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Ubuntu-from-Windows-in-3-Steps-Without-Using-a-CD-61304.shtml
>
> | and it seems almost too easy, too good to be true.  I took the plunge
> | and I'm using it to install on an XP box that isn't mission critical.
> | But I'm thinking about using it to install ubuntu on a friends new Vista
> | laptop.  Any gotcha's I should know about?  Thanks in advance.
> |
> | Bob
> |

> I would be more inclined to trust vmware or virtualbox.  I have no
> experience nor heard of "wubi", but I can guess if its built for windows
> and its free, that its most likely laced with spyware.  If your pc isnt
> fast enough to be able to run virtual, then just use the ubuntu
> partioning tool on the live cd during the install.  It works perfectly.

You are missing the point. This is nothing like virtualization. It uses a
file, rather than a physical drive to install, but it is very much native.
They are not quite there yet, but for 7.04 it works pretty good. Don't use
with Gutsy.

And just to comment, not all windows software is full of spyware. I am very
much an open source advocate, but that kind of prejudice is not in place.
'Good' software developers that happen to need a paycheck do exist. Oh, and
Wubi is free software.

/Rutger