Compiz with an ATI X1200

gesus gesus14 at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:59:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a problem with compiz running with an ATI X1250 (integrated
graphic chip on a gigabyte mainboard). I have installed the
proprietary drivers (version 8.45.4) on an Ubuntu gutsy machine. After
that I changed my xorg.conf according to the wikipages of the
compiz-fusion project. [1], see below.

Direct rendering seems to work:
$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
direct rendering: Yes

...but if I run compiz the system gets slow. There is always a latency
when you open a menu, move a window or things like that. I have no
idea how to solve this.

If I run glxgears (compiz disabled) I get the follwing output:
$ glxgears
3075 frames in 5.0 seconds = 614.830 FPS
3071 frames in 5.0 seconds = 614.184 FPS

With compiz enabled I have round about 500 FPS. I think that is not
much. When I run glxgears one core of the CPU seems to have 100% load.
It seems to be software rendering or am I wrong. Does anybody know a
solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance,
cheers,
Christian

[1] http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/ATI_with_AIGLX

-------%<--------------------
I changed my xorg.conf this way:

--------------
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Standardgrafikkarte"
        Driver          "fglrx"
        Busid           "PCI:1:5:0"
        Option          "VideoOverlay"  "on"
        Option          "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
EndSection

[...]

Section "Extensions"
        Option          "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection