apt-cache unmet { unmet dependencies }

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 22 16:23:42 UTC 2008

thomas fisher wrote:

> In reading the manual on apt-cache and checking it out I ran
> " apt-cache umet ". I was totally unprepared for the long list of unmets.
> Some appear to be not very critical { obscure fonts }. Is there a quick
> method of filtering this long list so that only the more critical
> dependencies can be dealt with?

$ apt-cache --help
apt 0.7.6ubuntu14.1 for i386 compiled on Oct 22 2007 10:25:26
Usage: apt-cache [options] command
       apt-cache [options] add file1 [file2 ...]
       apt-cache [options] showpkg pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
       apt-cache [options] showsrc pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
  -i Show only important deps for the unmet command.

Which shows only "depends" rather than "suggests" and "recommends".  But I
rather doubt that's your issue - what you really want is to be able to just
ask about the dependencies for a specific package (after all, if you
already have the package installed, it isn't missing any important
dependencies).
--
derek