Check Forced...what am I not doing?

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Tue Jan 22 13:59:19 UTC 2008

Rick Barry wrote:

> I booted my system tonight and instead of getting a
> login, I got a series of text. When it reached
> "Checking root file system" the next line read:"
> /dev/sda1 has been mounted 31 times without check,
> check forced."

normal, you didn't do anything wrong or are missing any tasks, it's a
feature that tries to ensure your filesystem is OK.

> It then appeared to do a "scan disk" type operation
> and then booted normally.

which is a good sign, you'd be in a lot more trouble if fsck had found
errors.

> Am I not doing something regularly that I should or
> have something set up wrong?

nope, ubuntu uses ext3 by default, upon creation of the filesystem it sets
certain things (like this check) depending on various facts of the
filesystem and underlying disk.

you can (but i wouldn't recommend it) disable this it in "man tune2fs" (in a
terminal.

anyway it's just a safety measure that should only occur once a month (given
you reboot once a day). Personally I'd just let it check and be done with
it.

hth
martin
--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.