DeviceGuru's Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 17:39:41 UTC 2008

On 20/01/2008, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> heres a better idea.  drop all the "edu", "xu", "ku" like he asks, and
> let the installer decide what they want when they install like every
> other distro. isnt uniformity what we should be after?  OR just install
> all 3 if they want, its not that much extra space.  im betting the
> percentage of users who have more than one desktop environment installed
> is pretty great.  like me, i have kde, xfce, and gnome installed.  i use
> gnome everyday, but kde has some great packages which i use as well.

I disagree. I don't think that's a better idea at all. A large part of
the strength of the original Ubuntu system is that it doesn't ask the
user incomprehensible questions during setup; it just gets the job
done. A Linux novice won't know what the hell "KDE" is, nor will they
want to choose GNOME - a gnome is a lawn ornament to most people.

It's simple. Keep it that way.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508