DeviceGuru's Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon Jan 21 04:14:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 13:06 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> steve wrote:
> > heres a better idea.  drop all the "edu", "xu", "ku" like he asks, and
> > let the installer decide what they want when they install like every
> > other distro. isnt uniformity what we should be after?  OR just install
> > all 3 if they want, its not that much extra space.
>
> I doubt there is space enough on a single CD. On a Gutsy Kubuntu
> installation, when I select to additionally install ubuntu-desktop, the
> installer wants to fetch 255MB.
>
> BTW: Why did you choose to change the mailing list? The original mail was
> sent to sounder, which is the right place for this kind of discussion.
>

> Nils

Strangely enough, if I download the ubuntu-alternate CD, I can install
Ubuntu-desktop (which uses Gnome), then install the Xubuntu-desktop
and/or Kubuntu-desktop from that CD, canĀ“t I? Has that now been changed,
too? I have done that with 5.10, 6.06, and 7.04, at least. I have not
tried it in 7.10, yet. It did make it easier, since I did not have to
download the different versions each time.

Just my own thoughts,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914            [http://counter.li.org/]