Reducing the size of a photo

Robert Spanjaard spamtrap at arumes.com
Sun Jan 20 07:59:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:03:54 -0500, Rajiv Vyas wrote:

> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?

There are three options:
- reduce the size,
- reduce the detail ('quality' level)
- a combination of the above.

Resizing is usually done in the editing-part of a program. Setting the
amount of detail is done in the Save-dialog of a JPEG-file.

In The GIMP, you can resize the image using the menu-option

   Image > Scale Image

If you want to reduce the quality, select File > Save As, select the JPEG
filetype (or let the filename end in .jpg), and click the Save-button.
Then, you can set the quality-level in the following dialog, and preview
the resulting image and filesize by checking the "Show Preview in image
window" option.

--
Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com