Reducing the size of a photo

Robert Hodgins ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Sun Jan 20 04:39:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-19-01 at 23:03 -0500, Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not a Ubuntu specific question. I am trying to upload some
> photos to Craigslist and it won't allow me to because the size is too
> large (1.3 Meg per photo). How do I reduce the size of these photos (I
> have F-Spot and Gimp) to say 200 kb?

Method 1:
Open the image in Gimp. Click on Image, then click Scale Image. A dialog
box opens showing the Image Size (Width and Height). The two parameters
can be reduced here. Save the resulting image.

Taking a 640x480 jpg to 320x240 reduced the file size from 289 to 43 kB.
Of course, the resultant photo in this case was quite fuzzy compared to
the original.

Method 2:

In the same dialog box, alter the X and Y resolution. Altering this on a
jpg (from 120 pixels/inch to 72 pixels/inch) altered the file size from
289 to 135 kB. And the product was not so fuzzy as in Method 1.