Re-installing grub boots go grub prompt

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 20 02:40:00 UTC 2008

Using Kubuntu 6.06.
Somehow I destroyed grub.  I re-installed grub as per below
but when I boot it stops at a grub prompt.
What do I do with that?

This is what I did to get this far:

I booted the 6.06 install cd and mounted hda1 (root) and hda5 (home).

After a lot of reading tried the following install line:
sudo /sbin/grub-install  --root-directory=/mnt  --root-shell=/sbin/grub
  --recheck /dev/hda

It seemed to come out ok and reported my devices as /dev/fd0 and /dev/hda.

However, when I boot a prompt for grub appears instead of kde.
What do I do with it?  Should I change something in /boot/grub?

Larry