trojans and Ubuntu

Tim M southern.tim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 17:28:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 2:36 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Tim M wrote:
>
> > Yesterday a friend of mine asked me about identity thief protection
> sites
> > and she sent me a link to one asking if it was okay. I clicked on the
> link
> > on my laptop running 10.7 (also protected with NoScript). Anyway this
> > morning I was talking to my boss he is in charge of Internet security
> for
> > a major company (I work for him part time in his own business). He said
> > that if she clicked on that site she could have introduced a Trojan into
> > her computer. I will not post the site address here . . . anyway, he
> might
> > have misunderstood me or I might have misunderstood him. Now I need to
> > tell my friend, who suffers from panic attacks) to reinstall her system.
> > guess I should listen to my boss . . . I am wondering what the group
> > thinks about what he said and that if my system might be compromised
> also.
>
> Yours, no.  Hers?  Perhaps.  Clicking on a link can only rarely introduce
> trojan, even under Windows.  These days, under Vista, it's practically
> impossible to click on _anything_ without getting that annoying popup
> asking if it should be allowed.  Identity theft links almost invariably
> rely on you actively giving them information - they don't need to write
> programs for it.  A friend's computer-savvy and highly-educated wife fell
> for one of the "your account has been suspended..." scams.
> --
> derek

Thank you Derek, Some said this post might not be appropriate for this
forum. I am sorry if my posting it is out of line but I was interested in
whether the affect might be on my machine also. I do agree with you too that
my boss might have been overstating the problem . . . she does have
anti-virus and other protection offered by her IP.  But like you said people
going to such a site are going to WILLINGLY give them all the information
they would EVER need.

Tim