raid questions

JNF passiveprofits at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 21:46:06 UTC 2008

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 11:30 AM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> I tried to use the alternate
>> installer for my workstation here, but it couldn't handle both RAID1 and
>> LVM at the same time.  It choked when I tried to put LVM partitions on
>> my RAID1 mirror, hanging for many minutes with no response.  I had to go
>> with CentOS5 instead because the installer seems better suited to
>> dealing with LVM.
>>

> Just because it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean it's not well
> suited for it. I've done it more than a dozen times with several
> ubuntu versions, debian sarge and etch. I'm also aware of several
> people who follow the guidelines and get it to work nicely.
>
> regards
> FF

I had the same problem 98 months ago (LTS; desktop) and ended up
giving up, upscaling, and looking more into the longer term solution
anyway (RAID PCI/PCI-X/PCIe cards) ... Just spent a week on it.

My suggestion if RAID (hardware is important, go RAID 1, 5 or 10
(0+1 at a push).  This requires £80 to get bottom of top spec card.
 Anything (about) less, wasting time - better off with fake RAID via
native Ubuntu software.  If you want to run a RAID 10 server with
all of the most (basic) gizmos required for any serious availability
etc - £250 gets you about where you need to be hardware wise
(offloading virtually everything to the card from the CPU).

LL
PS - Any suggestions for a RAID 10 native or supportable via card
motherboard running at least 6 (preferably 9 or more) SATA drives
welcome! ... Or more generally motherboards/chipsets to avoid (If
any) running Ubuntu & derivatives (or those to go for!! ;)).