Firefox self-updates

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 18 20:05:18 UTC 2008

On 01/18/2008 08:51 AM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Instead, start firefox once and very briefly as root and have the
> updates installed. Finally close firefox and start the updated firefox
> as usual.
>
> Very easy, isn't it?

Yes, I'm aware that you can do it that way. However, I'd never recommend
running FireFox or Thunderbird as root[1]. Perhaps my concern is left
over from my Windows days where the system is susceptible to being
infected within a matter of seconds...

[1]Although, I have to admit that I have run SeaMonkey as root when
testing and had to update ChatZilla before it was fixed.