NTFS vs. ext3 sharing was{Re: do I need to format this new external drive

Rutger van Haasteren vhaasteren at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:28:00 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 3:57 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 01/15/2008 01:05 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

> >> You can r/w to an ext3 with Windows, but in Windows you need to install
> >> something like ex2ifs: http://www.fs-driver.org/ in order to read/write
> >> to the ext3 drive. I suppose that there may be something similar for
> >> older MAC's, but I've no experience with MAC.
> >

> > I'm not too concerned about writing to my drives with Windows.
> > Baldwin Linguas is a 100% FOSS/Gnu/Linux shop...
> >
> > Thanks for clearing that up for me!
> >

> Cool, but in the event that you have a visiting windows laptop/guest,
> keep the http://www.fs-driver.org/ link handy. I also am basically 100%
> linux, but I also troubleshoot others windows systems, so I have 2 other
> Windows drives that I can dual boot into.

In the past I have had some troubles with the fs-driver: it is not an ext3
driver, but ext2. They are backwards compatible, but windows will not use
journaling. Consequence: if you write anything to it in windows and the
system hangs (it /is/ windows) then you will have to repair the drive
(happens automatically on boots in linux). There can also be other
scenarios, and it was a major annoyance back when I was dual booting. So I
would recommend you to use it read-only in windows to prevent
file-corruption.

/Rutger