How to properly compile a kernel?

Wolf Canis mr_canis at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 14:43:29 UTC 2008

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-01-17 at 14:26 +0100, Wolf Canis wrote:
>
>> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>
>>> hi,

>>> did you have a look at the documentation from the kernel team how to do
>>> it with an ubuntu kernel ?
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
>>>

>> And there other sites too, but non of these are really working,
>> because
>> Cononical don't want that. You have to use they stock kernel.
>> All these documentations are incomplete.
>>
> what makes you think that ? the linux-source package contains the
> complete kernel source. did you talk to the kernel team about it or
> filed bugs for the doc-team if you think the documentation is worng ?

If a article, in the first paragraph, have a sentence like

There is no easy way. That is intentionally.

Or similar, than I think it makes no sense.
> what interest should canonical have to prevent peoples hardware from
> working ? why do you think does the ubuntu distro team waste space for
> the linux-headers, build environment etc on the CD that could be filled
> with shiny desktop apps ?

That could be a lot of reasons. But that belongs not in this thread. I'm
sorry
that I mentioned this in this thread.
> if there is the need to build your own stuff (i couldnt imagine why
> there would be one to build the kernel itself though, since 99% of the
> stuff you might need is modular and there are way better ways to get
> working modules than to compile the linux package) you are surely able
> to do it ...

Most of all, to represent in the kernel the particular processor. The Ubuntu
stock kernel is build for i586. I use, for example, Intel Dual Core T2130.
And so on. I use mainly laptops and my clients too, therefore I think it's
obvious.
Besides that, is exactly customization of the kernel the big strength of
Linux. That's makes the big difference between M$ and Linux. And
you can use older hardware. But since Gutsy  is that not possible any
more  (I tried it on a  Toshiba Tecra 8100 PIII Coppermine). With Ubuntu
not possible, now runs the laptop with Gentoo and is productive.
I tried Xubuntu too, but there is the same kernel . BTW, where is difference
between this two Versions, apart from the fact that Ubuntu has Gnome as
desktop and Xubuntu Xfce?
>> They have split the kernel in several packages:
>> kernel-image, kernel-modules
>>
> these two are debian packages and have nothing to do with ubuntu (note
> that ubuntu uses linux- as prefix for all kernel packages it uses).

Yes, I know.

> linux-image will contain the same kernel and modules you get from
> kernel.org.

I didn't compared it, but if you said so, I will it believe.
> linux-ubuntu-modules contains modules that are not likely to go to the
> kernel.org source ever but are requested by users to make specific
> hardware or software work.

That's ok, too.
> there is no linux-modules package (and there never was).
> the separating of the restricted-modules has licensing reasons that i
> would expect to be obvious.

Obvious.
> with all your complaints about the build system, did you think about
> participating and improving it ? the kernel team would be happy about
> every helping hand to make it easier for users, i'm sure ...

I'm really sorry. If I want build a custom kernel then is for that a
reason and
then I want or have to build only this one, not the hole range of Ubuntu
kernels.
That sample is that.
> ciao
> 	oli