questions on 32 or 64 bit CPU etc

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Wed Jan 16 23:15:58 UTC 2008

Zhengguo Xu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> anyone know how to determine, in Linux, if one's CPU is 32 or 64 bit ? i

> 3. cpuinfo, which gives:

>     width: 32 bits
>   *-core
>        physical id: 0
>      *-memory
>           physical id: 0
>           size: 2027MB
>      *-cpu
>           product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
>           vendor: Intel Corp.
>           physical id: 1
>           bus info: cpu at 0
>           version: 15.3.4
>           serial: 0000-0F34-0000-0000-0000-0000
>           size: 18EHz
>           width: 32 bits
>           capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
> cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
> sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
>           configuration: id=0
>
> that seems pretty 32bit-ish to me.

yup.  32bits wide.

> in hardware information i saw 2 CPUs but of course i only had one. can
> anyone tell me what's that means, or, for saving you guys time, point me
> a website so that i can learn more about it?

your answer is in your own email.  :)  see these lines:

>> Extended brand string: "              Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz"
>> CLFLUSH instruction cache line size: 8
>> Hyper threading siblings: 2

and

> HT     Hyper Threading

hyperthreading is a way to fake two cpus and make the system believe it
has two when really you only have one.  intel says it speeds things up.
 you may or may not believe them.  :)  it depends on what your cpu is
doing and for lots of things you should just turn it off.  for example
if you run vmware.

> final question is about the mounting of USB mass storage device.
>
> Ubuntu usu. recognize external USB driver as soon as it was plugged in
> as in the case of 2 of my Iomega USB drivers (500GB and 200GB) however,
> iomega 300GB doesn't work at all. and i can not find it in /dev (i guess
> it should appears as sdc or sdd etc like the other two.) therefore i
> couldn't mount it. (neither it was recognized in Windows XP. I had
> duo-booting setup on my HP desktop)
>
> any idea what's going on with this device?

open a terminal and run lsusb both before plugging in the drive and
after.  is there a difference in the command's output?  any lights turn
on or anything to indicate the drive is working when you plug it in?
can you hear it spin up?

- -d