48-bit LBA enhancement to the ATA interface - Hard disk drive (HDD) interface questions

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed Jan 16 19:46:31 UTC 2008

' =JeffH ' wrote:
> Ok, I want/need to figure out how big a HDD I can upgrade to *internally* to
> on my
> Dell D820 lapstation.
>
> How does one go about figuring out whether there are any hard and fast
> restrictions given the internal IDE/ATA disk interface and/or BIOS
> implementation peculiarities? And/or ubuntu/debian/linux driver limitations?
>
> I've been told that the limit on this machine is nominally a 120GB disk (on
> the internal ATA/EIDE disk controller interface). But that might be someone
> with a Windows focus. I'm running (k)ubuntu 6.10 Edgy.
>
> Some modest research indicates that this system (e.g. the BIOS) _might_ be
> subject to the "48-bit LBA" problem/issue, but also that it's possible that
> the Linux 2.6.* kernel might obviate any issues and I'm all set.
>
> Without yet buying a > 120GB disk and actually trying it, how do i figure this
> out?
>
> thanks,
>
> =JeffH

Hi, the potential BIOS ATA ristrictions are a non issue for modern
Operating Systems. This applies to Linux, but to Microsoft, just as well.
All you need it that Linux can recognize "some partition" to boot from,
via the bios. This can be small and within the (say) first 120GBs. ;-))

After this, the OS itself will control any harddisk you might have.

kind regards
Eberhard