bind9 delegation

ubuntu at acrasis.net ubuntu at acrasis.net
Wed Jan 16 03:41:25 UTC 2008

On 2008-01-15 09:14, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Your zone files look OK, thus the problem is probably your named.conf.

What might be wrong?  I'll be happy to post its contents and its
included files.

> Or you didn't increment your serial.

In the zone file for 'nicklan'?  I did, it is incremented automatically
by the emacs 'DNS' mode.  But isn't the serial for use by polling slave
servers?

> I assume that resolv.conf on both systems causes localhost to be
> queried, right?

Yes, on neptune resolve.conf has

   nameserver 127.0.0.1
   search nicklan nickdmz

And on nicklite,

   nameserver 127.0.0.1
   search nicklan

> On neptune, are the delegation records known? I.e., does it answer for
> the NS record of jupiter.nicklan. and the A record of
> ns.jupiter.nicklan.?

Yes and no... here are my attempts to query for the nameserver for
'jupiter.nicklan' and for the address of 'ns.jupiter.nicklan':

   root at neptune:~# host -t ns jupiter.nicklan. localhost
   Using domain server:
   Name: localhost
   Address: 127.0.0.1#53
   Aliases:

   jupiter.nicklan name server ns.jupiter.nicklan.
   root at neptune:~#
   root at neptune:~# host ns.jupiter.nicklan. localhost
   Using domain server:
   Name: localhost
   Address: 127.0.0.1#53
   Aliases:

   Host ns.jupiter.nicklan not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

If I run 'rndc dumpdb -zones' on neptune, it creates the file
/var/cache/bind/named_dump.db which contains

   jupiter.nicklan.             10800 IN NS     ns.jupiter.nicklan.
   ns.jupiter.nicklan.          10800 IN A      172.23.63.100

As usual, if I query nicklite.nicklan directly, it provides the expected
answer:

   root at neptune:~# host ns.jupiter.nicklan. nicklite.nicklan
   Using domain server:
   Name: nicklite.nicklan
   Address: 172.23.63.100#53
   Aliases:

   ns.jupiter.nicklan has address 172.23.63.100

> 	Joachim

Thanks
--
KM