Out of {Disk Space,Ideas}

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Mon Jan 14 22:51:46 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:12:58 angels mail wrote:
> I have the same problem - the disk is full, and I really don't know how and
> why.
> I have two disks, but I generally use only the first one, because it is
> faster and bigger. Days ago, I was told that the disk is full. I cleaned it
> up(a lot of Gs), but without success - I was still told, that the disk is
> full. Afterwards, I don't know how I made this, but the disk had 11G of
> free space. Today I accessed the disk again, because I try very hard to
> make work the connection between my computer and the tv and I was thinking
> that maybe can make the connection from the other disk. When I went there,
> I was once again told, that the disk is full. I really would like to know
> what is going on since I removed all my media files and some crap already
> and now I have there only few things.
> Hm....
>
> 2008/1/13, Michael <michaelg at seadreamer.net>:
> >  Adam McGreggor wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:18:59PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >
> >  Adam McGreggor wrote:
> >
> >      On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 01:58:44PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> >
> >  On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:26 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> >
> >  Any thoughts on *why*, despite having moved stuff off, the machine
> > still
> > doesn't think it's got any space?
> >
> >  You might want to run the Disk Usage Analyzer from menu Applications >
> > Accessories, to see where exactly the space is used up.
> >
> >  No X, but I've "du -hs * | sort -n" 'd a bit.
> >
> >  Well, du -s is provably not telling you what you're really using - as
> > someone was demonstrating recently -s does _not_ summarize, it simply
> > shows the space that the top level uses (and -c for totals doesn't work
> > either).
> >
> >  df is my preference over du. Has been for yonks. But sometimes, an
> > estimate is useful.
> >
> >    The issue is deleting stuff does *not* create disk-space. When it
> > ought to.
> >
> > And the files *are* being deleted.
> >
> >  Then I'd have to guess that when you move them you're still moving them
> > onto the same filesystem.
> >
> >  Unless something odd was going on with proc, and things, I'm unsure
> > what/how.
> >
> > Still, the machine was in a right state, with god-knows how much un-used
> > software, four/five upgrades, and a few broken annoyances, I did the
> > unthinkable at reinstalled.
> >
> > I'm up and running again now, things are far quicker, and i can save
> > stuff/work!
> >
> > Hurrah. Still not sure of what was going on, but I spent as long
> > attempting to fix, as the install/rebuild, and gained 'better' results,
> > too. A rebuild was going to happen sooner, rather than later, anyhow.
> > This decided it.
> >
> > Cheers for the ideas: shame it didn't work, tho'. (now if only I could
> > work out where, apart from ~/.mozilla/foo firefox saved stuff in...)
> >
> >    This is probably too simple but I'm going to  ask it anyway.

> [...]

I have been off line due to problems with my broad band connection, (bad line
ISP looking into it), so I'm jumping in here a bit late. I have had a similar
problem with Mandriva on my laptop. It was / that was out of space due to
keeping old kernels after updates and after a back up had failed leaving
behind a large tmp backup file. Use the software manager to get rid of any
kernels that are not being used and check out the systems /tmp directory, not
the users /tmp directory.

John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)