Restore UBUNTU grub after reinstalling Windows

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Tue Jan 15 01:57:54 UTC 2008

I had removed Windows XP some time ago and was running solely on
UBUNTU.  Then, I had to restore Windows at the insistence of my great
grandchildren so they can use their CDs on my computer when they visit.

UBUNTU is on the first partition on my second hard drive and Windows has
been reinstalled back on the first partition on the first hard drive.

After I had removed Windows, UBUNTU's GRUB worked fine (except for not
booting Windows).

 As expected, when I reinstalled Windows, I no longer get a GRUB boot menu.

Some time ago, both Windows and Ubuntu were on the same drive (different
partitions, of course) and if I removed and reinstalled Windows, I could
easily restore grub with the command  'grub-install  /dev/hda' using
Ubuntu's CD.

Now that UBUNTU is on the first partition of HD #2 and Windows is on the
first partition of HD#1
,  I tried 'grub-install /dev/hdb'  while  running  the UBUNTU  CD
-----no luck.

I've not found any information that pertains to my situation.

I've so much work tied up in my UBUNTU that I don't want to have to
reinstall it.

HELP!!!

 .