[HIJACKED!] What are the best OSS discussion group apps?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Mon Jan 14 17:54:27 UTC 2008

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 14/01/2008, Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:

> I understand it just fine, thanks.

So you knew about list-id in the headers and that gmail doesn't respect
that header in its' handling of threaded messages?

Again, I don't use Gmail, but someone else said that it groups by
subject line an ignores the list-id header.  This further encourages
users to screw up non-gmail using members of mailing lists presentation
of messages by simply changing the subject line and since, hey, it looks
like it worked, it must be alright.

This is frowned on by other members of the list.  This is one of the
arguments against users of Outlook, since the defaults strongly
encourage top posting of replies.  It works, but it still annoys the
hell out of people who organize their thoughts in an inline fashion to
address points on a point-by-point manner and trim out excess cruft.

>My primary email address is one
> I've been using since 1991; it was my second, my first being one I got
> at University in 1985, at which time I started to explore the
> Internet. I've been using online discussions and mailing lists for
> some twenty years now, since long before the Web or indeed Linux
> existed.

I believe Linux was around in 1991, six years from when you got the
first one at University.  I suppose in technology terms, that would be a
long time, but I personally wouldn't call the time between 85 and the
90's all that long...

> How Gmail does its threading is a matter for the Gmail developers, not
> me. However, as a happy user, I will defend its behaviour against
> criticism, especially ill-informed criticism.

I already said I'm not a user of Gmail, but I definitely have heard many
others gripe about this particular matter.  And the handling of
threading ISN'T a matter just for the developers. It's a matter for the
users, as well as the recipients, since they have to handle the results
of the developers' work.

You may have great spam filters.  You may poo on everyone else who has a
problem with spammers, gloating how wonderful your setup is and that you
never have been and never will be infected by a trojan.  Doesn't mean
your connection isn't getting occasionally pounded to nuts by spam probe
ATTEMPTS from other idiots with either a self-centered lackadaisical
attitude or a purely ignorant view of becoming infected with zombie
software.

Your workflow may integrate wonderfully with how Gmail handles threaded
lists.  It may integrate perfectly with the way you think.  But don't
for a minute think it doesn't have some affect on others when you're
using it since, by definition, to interact with other people.

The point is that your personal computer may be set up to "just work"
fine with your way of working.  But if you're on the network, you're not
unaffected by others and others are affected by you.  Threadjacking is
annoying to people on the list, and seeing as the threadjackers tend to
be looking for help on the list, they should conform to the loose
standards asked for by the members of the list or risk having the gurus
file you in their dumbass filters and ignore you.  No one is paid to
help others on the list.

> I do not know what MUA the person who started this thread uses. I
> suspect only he does.

Again, many times you can find it in the headers.  The clients often
leave a kind of "fingerprint" behind.

>So it is pointless to debate whether Gmail
> correctly modifies or does not modify the message IDs, since we don't
> know if it's Gmail that started the thread or not.

I'm pretty sure I saw in this thread where someone posted the evidence,
and it's been stated that Gmail does display this behavior, and you
turned the topic away from being "the threadjacker used this mail
client" to "gmail handles threading fine, the rest of you are blowing
smoke from your arse!!"  I suspect if you had stated that you hadn't
noticed said behavior before and asked for clarification, it wouldn't
have sounded quite so hostile to begin with...but I really am not sure
of the wisdom of telling a group of geeks that they are outrightly wrong
and not expecting several to step up with flamethrowers ready to try
their darndest to stamp you into the ground to show you just how you, in
fact, are the one in the wrong and eventually some self-appointed
listmom will start bitching about this thread going on and on off topic
and in the process making said thread longer rather than letting it just
flame out on its' own.

> If someone starts a new thread by replying to an existing message and
> changing the subject, that is their error, not Gmail's, and again, it
> is incorrect to criticise the way that Gmail handles the situation;
> it's a user error. If Gmail respects the thread ID then it's doing the
> right thing.

Of course it's user error.  But that's not the issue as much as it is,
as much as many open-source developers hate to address this, an
interface issue.  Letting users do this without error or guidance is
encouraging them to continue to do it much as Outlook encourages users
to treat mail clients as underwear for their mental farts by spitting
their quick instant-message like thoughts to the top of an untrimmed
reply rather than actually compose a response properly.

What is confusing me here is that you're saying "If Gmail respects the
thread ID then it's doing the right thing."  Yes...the criticism was
that it DOESN'T respect the ID.  It groups by subject line.

Once again I'm obligated to repeat, since no doubt someone is itching to
criticize me on this, that my repeating the criticism is second hand
since I don't use Gmail and never really felt the need to use it.  This
is simply restating what I understand the problem to be from this thread.