using other distro's repos?

Caleb Marcus caleb.marcus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:38:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 22:46 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> >     I'm not a guru of any variety, but it seems to me that if there's a
> > .jar file then a package is kind of superfluous.
>
> "kind of" is the key.  You don't _need_ it, but having it wrapped in a
> debian package gets you automatic updates.
> --
> derek

Well, not really... you need to upload the .deb file to a repository to
have it automatically updated. However, there are many advantages to
having a proper .deb file... if you have a .deb file, when you install
it on other machines, it'll automatically install Java and whatever else
is necessary to run your program. It can also automatically set up
things like menu entries. Then, when you want to remove it, it'll
cleanly remove the menu entries, files, etc.