raid questions

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:30:40 UTC 2008

> If you install to a boot raid1 you don't have to do a thing as the installer
> will make sure initrd.img has the needed drivers (raid1, md).  If you modify
> an install to boot from a raid1 partition after the fact, then you need to
> configure mkinitrd or whatever you use for creating initrd.img.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that you could do this.  I assume you must use
the alternate installer to pull this off?  I tried to use the alternate
installer for my workstation here, but it couldn't handle both RAID1 and
LVM at the same time.  It choked when I tried to put LVM partitions on
my RAID1 mirror, hanging for many minutes with no response.  I had to go
with CentOS5 instead because the installer seems better suited to
dealing with LVM.