raid questions

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:53:24 UTC 2008

On 12/01/2008, Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm being told that my raid setup is a bad idea. Is this true?
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=941593#post941592

I don't really see why you'd want to, but there's no particular reason
why not.  Indeed this is supported by the firmware RAID of some Intel
chipsets; Intel call it "matrix RAID".

The comments about overloading the disks and causing damage or
corruption are absolutely nonsense.

However, the point that accesses to the mirrored part will slow down
accesses to the striped part are fair enough. You won't see much
performance improvement from the stripe.

But yes, it will work OK. Worth it? Probably not.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508