Out of {Disk Space,Ideas}

Adam McGreggor lists at amyl.org.uk
Sun Jan 13 02:20:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:18:59PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Adam McGreggor wrote:

> >> You might want to run the Disk Usage Analyzer from menu Applications >
> >> Accessories, to see where exactly the space is used up.
> >
> > No X, but I've "du -hs * | sort -n" 'd a bit.
>
> Well, du -s is provably not telling you what you're really using - as
> someone was demonstrating recently -s does _not_ summarize, it simply shows
> the space that the top level uses (and -c for totals doesn't work either).

df is my preference over du. Has been for yonks. But sometimes, an
estimate is useful.

> > The issue is deleting stuff does *not* create disk-space. When it ought
> > to.
> >
> > And the files *are* being deleted.
>
> Then I'd have to guess that when you move them you're still moving them onto
> the same filesystem.

Unless something odd was going on with proc, and things, I'm unsure
what/how.

Still, the machine was in a right state, with god-knows how much un-used
software, four/five upgrades, and a few broken annoyances, I did the
unthinkable at reinstalled.

I'm up and running again now, things are far quicker, and i can save
stuff/work!

Hurrah. Still not sure of what was going on, but I spent as long
attempting to fix, as the install/rebuild, and gained 'better' results,
too. A rebuild was going to happen sooner, rather than later, anyhow.
This decided it.

Cheers for the ideas: shame it didn't work, tho'. (now if only I could
work out where, apart from ~/.mozilla/foo firefox saved stuff in...)