freenx on gutsy

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 12 01:23:10 UTC 2008

On 01/10/2008 01:05 PM, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> Hi Drew.  I happened upon your post and I'm not sure if you resolved it yet,
> but here is an option.  I have compiled binaries for Ubuntu and setup a
> forum and repository here:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&highlight=freenx

I used these instructions to set things up on each of my Ubuntu's:

http://michigantelephone.mi.org/blog/2006/09/how-to-install-nx-server-and-client.html

Here are my changes to that blog:

> > -----------------------
> > Step 1 - Download
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Download "NX Desktop Server DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/select-package.php?os=linux&id=1
> >
> > Download "NX Node DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/download-node.php?os=linux
> >
> > Download "NX Client DEB for Linux" from:
> > http://www.nomachine.com/download-client-linux.php

I also downloaded and installed the NX Manager:

http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=77

> > -----------------------
> > Step 2 - Install
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Install the DEB files in this order:
> >
> > nxclient
> > nxnode
> > nxserver
  nxmanager

I just double-clicked via Nautilus & allowed the Package Manager to do
the installs.

> > -----------------------
> > Step 3 - Configure
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Load up your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file into an editor:
> >
> > sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

change to gksudo gedit /etc/ssh/sshd_config

so that you can use the gedit editor instead of nano if you'd like.

> > Add the following line & save the file
> > AuthorizedKeysFile /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/authorized_keys2

Go to Step 4 and modify /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg and /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg
first, then go back to:

> > Restart sshd by typing:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> >

> > Verify nxserver is configured properly by typing:
> > sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --status

After all of that: Applications|Internet|NX Client for Linux
and configure for a session to your other machine.