Out of {Disk Space,Ideas}

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 16:42:00 UTC 2008

Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:40:48PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 14:28 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
>>> No X
>> Sorry, I've missed that
>
> Np.
>
>>> The issue is deleting stuff does *not* create disk-space. When it ought
>>> to.
>> I dunno. You don't have a runaway process filling the disk, do you. And
>> I guess you have rebooted and maybe checked stuff in maintenance mode?
>
> If only... And yes, i've rebooted a couple of times, played around in
> single-user mode... I'm stumped!
>
> Think I may make another back-up (one can never have too many), and then
> do a clean install --- If I/the list can't think of anything else.
>
> It's been installed/upgraded since Warty...

Just curious....How do you know you have no space?

Recently I had moved some partitions around, and done something a little
screw in gparted that caused stuff like Kdiskfree and kwikdisk to
indicate that my main partition was only 35gb with 35gb full, when, in
fact, the partition was 140gb with 35 full (I was racking my brain
trying to figure out where the rest of my hdd had gone...vacation?).
I don't recall how I fixed that, but, it's in the list
archives....wait...Found it here.

I had extended a partition without extending the file system (gparted
was interrupted or something).  I ended up loading the livecd and
shaving have a mb from the partition and allowing it to complete
everything and resized the file system accordingly...problem sovled (at
least, mine was).
Probably has nothing to do with your issue, but...I dunno.
Just an idea....

/tony

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Así también, la lengua es un miembro pequeño,
y se gloría de grandes cosas.
He aquí, ¡un pequeño fuego ­cuán grande bosque enciende!