Evolution's crazy habit with moving an e-mail to a folder !?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jan 10 19:11:51 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
>
>> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>>> Moving some e-mails to their respective folders where I want them ...
>>> ... also produces an entry in the Trash folder and this really drives me
>>> crazy !!
>>>
>>> Why does this happen like this ???
>>>
>>> I find it absolutely confusing and NOT necessary !!!
>
> It is _absolutely_ necessary.
>
>>> I believe that ONLY deleted messages shall go to Trash !!
>>> The rest remain either in the Inbox or where they have been
>>> copied/moved !
>>>
>> This is expected behaviour.  When you delete a message in Evolution, it
>> marks it as deleted and leaves it in place, but hidden.
>
> This is not simply Evolution behaviour, but a requirement of the Maildir
> format.

It is sort of an Evolution behaviour... Or more accurately, an absence
of behaviour.  Unlike most other Mail clients, Evolution doesn't
actually move any messages to a Trash folder.  Messages that you
'delete' or 'move' are simply marked for deletion in the mail storage
(be it maildir, mbox or imap).  The 'Trash' in Evolution is just a
filter that shows you all messages marked for deletion in all your
mailboxes.  (Unlike other mail clients, such as Thunderbird, that will
actually write a copy of 'deleted' messages into a Trash file)

Evolution's method is much more efficient, taking advantage of all
standard e-mail storage techniques to mark messages for deletion, rather
than writing out a new copy of all mesages when they are deleted (if you
think about it, that's kind of boneheaded).  But as a side effect,
there is, mechanically, no difference to the underlaying mail system
from messages that are deleted outright or moved.