Inconsistent /tmp Sizes

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:12:22 UTC 2008

[ Sorry to start a new thread, but somehow I deleted the previous letters.  -khj ]

As you might remember, I wrote some weeks ago about the gradual use of
disk space in my (Kubuntu 7.10; 2.6.20-16-generic) /tmp partition.

Adding to the strangeness if the fact that two different "disk
utilization" programs produce different results:

     # du -sh /tmp
     423K    /tmp

     ~# df -h /tmp
     /dev/sda6             464M  421M   19M  96% /tmp

Øyvind Stegard suggested that I use 'lsof' to provide more information ...

Here is the output of "# lsof +D /tmp":