Configure GRUB

Jan Kauffman jan.kauffman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:13:03 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 4:14 AM, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:31:30 -0200
> "Jan Kauffman" <jan.kauffman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [big snips]
> # Entry for /dev/hda5 :
> UUID=647C48557C482460 /media/hda5 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
> # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
> UUID=0EEE24FAEE24DBA9 /media/sda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
> # Entry for /dev/hda6 :
>
> this looks a bit peculiar - notice that fstab has both hda and sda
> entries... and thinks sda1 is ntfs, whereas grub thinks hd0,0 ( your
> first partition) is your linux partition ( ext3) - and grub is right,
> since
> Linux boots
>
> The UUID appears to agree between grub and the fstab for /dev/hda1
>
> Do you have any idea where the /dev/sda1 is coming from? The fstab seems
> to think it is ntfs and thus Windows, too... this doesn't make a lot of
> sense unless you have another ntfs formatted drive, and you don't mention
> that.

Sorry about that. The sda1 is separated HD. This hd is just for file storage
and is not bootable. Don't mind about that.

> Part of the problem may be that Windows is on /dev/hda5 , which is
> the first "logical" partition on an "extended" partition.
>
> If I remember correctly, Windows doesn't like being anywhere but /dev/hda1
> or /dev/sda1 -  (hd0,0) in GRUB-speak. I'm not sure if windows needs to be
> on a primary partition to boot. hda5 is a logical partition ( i.e. not
> primary)

I think it might be the problem. Is there any way to change that partition
to primary?

> Someone who knows more about Windows might want to correct my assumptions
> here, but I would try two things:
>
> 1) Run
>
> sudo cfdisk /dev/hda
>
>  and mark /dev/hda5 as bootable, (toggle the bootable flag for hda5) write
> that change in cfdisk, quit cfdisk

I did it, but when I try to write it, I receive this error:
"More then one primary partition is marked bootable. DOS MBR cannot boot
this. Toggle bootable flag of the current partition."

If I try to boot from the new option at the menu, I receive this error:
"Error 12: Invalid device request"

--Kauffman