VVDQ : Alpine on Ubuntu??

Rolf Kutz rk at vzsze.de
Wed Jan 9 18:29:02 UTC 2008

On 09/01/08 10:03 -0800, John Mark Walker wrote:
>Excerpts from Derek Broughton's message of Wed Jan 09 09:28:07 -0800 2008:
>> Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> > Fedora *can* do "yum upgrade," and people do occasionally report
>> > success with it; but they're always people a lot more technically capable
>> > than I am, and it's officially *not* recommended.
>> >
>> > I always burn a new CD or DVD, as *is* recommended. My guess is
>> > that the same will be true of Ubuntu -- right?
>

>Actually, Debian, on which Ubuntu is based, prides itself on its ability
>to never need another install CD. Thus, upgrading should be a matter of
>editing /etc/apt/sources.list and then issuing 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'

Sometimes a little more is needed on Debian, but
it usually works very well over the network.

>Some here always use aptitude, but apt-get is what I've always used, and
>I've upgraded via the above method since 6.06.

Aptitude is the recommended method on Debian. I
think ubuntu usually offers an upgrade script. See
here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn-to-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

regards, Rolf