(OT) vlans and cisco switches and dhcp to my system

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Wed Jan 9 14:34:56 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> The response I got was that the phones are on a separate VLAN.  I never
> had an answer about how the switch would differentiate the computer
> passing through the phone rather than directly into the drop.

(very high level)
You can configure the dhcp server to (and/or not exclusive)

a) serve different ip ranges to different clients identified by mac address
(or vendor name, or.....)

b) serve different ip ranges to different vlans

I'd guess that the vendor class of your computers is quite different from
those on the phones that would then lead to a "wrong" dhcp lease...

> Anyone willing to try giving a summary of what had happened, what I'm
> missing here?  I was just repeatedly told that the phones are on a
> separate VLAN despite the proper address being "passed through" to the
> computer when the computer was connected to the phone.  I thought VLANs
> were port-specific on the switch.

not only, on switches/routers they will with a single port act like 2
different networks if configured to do so (my guess is that it's more dhcp
related than vlan actually)

hth
martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.