wireless suddenly not working (iwl4965)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 8 21:40:04 UTC 2008

Peter Smerdon wrote:

>> On Jan 8, 2008 7:24 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> (my damned HP has a slider on the front, where when I actually have my
>>> laptop
>>> in my lap, it's _guaranteed_ to catch on my belt buckle and turn itself
>>> off).  I think there's an iwconfig option, too, but that won't help if
>>> the hardware switch is exclusive.
>>>
>> My HP laptop is the exact same. I remember the first day i got it and had
>> the wireless working all fine and then boom it was gone. Hours spent
>> playing with the router and everything else and i go hmmm whats this
>> slidey thing at the front...
>
> Martin and Derek,
> Thank you so much! that was exactly the problem.
> I was getting worried....
> Thanks a million!

I trust you were smart enough to ask here faster than we were :-)

Like Marty, I spent ages trying to figure out why the power was off. I _did_
know that it was turned off, but the HP didn't come with anything _saying_
there was a hardware power switch (it could have been missing some
documentation, as it was an "open box" sale item).
--
derek