VVDQ : Alpine on Ubuntu??

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 8 16:22:15 UTC 2008

Beartooth Testbedder wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:09:22 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> Here's an oddity. I tried some new command -- I think it must have been
> this :
>
> btth at SblzUb:~$ kdesudo qtparted
> bash: kdesudo: command not found
> btth at SblzUb:~$

Sorry - my fault.  Because you were using qtparted, not gparted, I was
assuming you were using KDE not Gnome.  Later I saw why you tried
qtparted...  So, for you, it would be gksu.  "sudo" would likely work too,
but there are times that it doesn't for gui apps (giving the error you were
getting originally), so I didn't want to suggest that.

> BUT, surprisingly enough, qtparted *did* open, and this time it does what
> I needed. It gives me the one more item of info that my guru requires:
> we're down to the point of figuring out, when I tried to use 6.06
> Alternate to re-partition, I actually hosed the previously resident
> CentOS completely (and will have to re-install it), or whether I just
> messed up my bootery (I certainly did that; can't get grub to boot CentOS
> at all any more), but will be able to when I know what to change it *to*

Sure - not knowing what you were trying to do with it, it was impossible to
tell whether it would work without sudo.  If you don't want to actually
write anything, parted works for non-root users.

> OK, that may be the salvation of the whole thing -- which is Greek to me
> ... :
>
> btth at SblzUb:~$ grep -r universe /etc/apt/sources.list*
> /etc/apt/sources.list:## Uncomment the following two lines to add software
> from the 'universe' /etc/apt/sources.list:## universe WILL NOT receive any
> review or updates from the Ubuntu security /etc/apt/sources.list: deb
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe

OK, so you're using the really, really, old release (which also explains why
you have nothing in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/).  So maybe alpine doesn't
even exist there.

Your choices: install a more recent Ubuntu; download a copy of alpine from
packages.ubuntu.com; install with dpkg, and then do "aptitude -f install"
to fix the dependencies; or reinstall the alpine .deb you tried before, and
run  "aptitude -f install".  My preferences would be in that order - the
first is initially time consuming, but guaranteed to work, either of other
options might not work anyway (if it can't resolve the dependencies from
the dapper release).
--
derek