CIFS mounting only works with IP address and not hostname..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 8 06:26:59 UTC 2008

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

> WipeOut wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just switched my fstab entries for my samb mounts to cifs rather
>> than smbfs because its far faster..
>>
>> The problem is that using cifs I have to use the server IP address for
>> it to work..
>>
>> I have tried from a command line as well and it will not connect and
>> just gives an error when using the hostname.. Even if I manually place
>> an entry in the /etc/hosts file it still won't work..
>>
>> I did some digging and it appears that one proposed solution was to
>> install mount.cifs which is apparently used for the name resolution but
>> I can't seem to find how to install mount.cifs on Ubuntu..
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas on why I am having to use the IP address of the
>> server or how to install mount.cifs?
>>
>> Thanks..
>>

> I believe this is expected.  The older Windows networking protocols
> relied on NetBIOS over TCP/IP for name resolution and file sharing.  The
> newer ones rely on CIFS and DNS (or at least DNS plus extensions) called
> Active Directory.  Most Windows servers now will have NBT disabled.  You
> will have to create a hosts file, or use DNS somehow.  A lot of DHCP
> servers support dynamic DNS.

Hi thanks for the reply..

I have tried and entry in the hosts file as well as using the dns name
and still it will not mount.. From a command line I am able to ping both
the host name and dns name and they resolve perfectly..

In my searching all I have found is that the mount.cifs application
appears to be needed for name resolution but I don't know what I need to
install to get it..

Anyone know what application provides mount.cifs?