VVDQ : Alpine on Ubuntu??

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Jan 7 22:28:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 17:19 -0500, Beartooth Testbedder wrote:
> from where I stand it's sudo that's evil. I'm no Alpha
> Plus Technoid, nor was meant to be. When I found out I'd have to learn
> vi just to set it up, I abandoned all hope of it.

You don't have to learn vi.

      * You can edit the sudoers file with any text editor if you can
        live without sanity checking
      * If you want sanity checking (recommended), you just set the
        VISUAL environment variable to the editor you like. E.g., by
        using the command line "sudo VISUAL=gedit visudo"
      * More info is in the manpage of visudo

If you have only small edits to make, you really just need "i",  "x",
and ":wq" in vi. Knowing how to use those is useful anyway, since vi is
pretty much guaranteed to exist on any Unix-like system, even in the
case of emergencies