Philips webcam

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 7 17:08:41 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 07/01/2008, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> > Linus is right. He has a very good, valid reason for keeping these
>> > drivers out of the kernel. The Linux kernel would be a mess if
>> > everything got it. However, the users are right too. They (we) want
>> > things to work.
>>
>> Yes - but then they have to buy hardware that's certified to work.  In
>> your case, I realize you did - but the manufacturer essentially lied.
>
> No, Philips did not lie so much as I know. I don't see a penguin
> anywhere on the package.

Perhaps - but they did claim to provide a Linux driver, which is apparently
not "blessed".  it's so much nicer when hardware vendors try to work
_inside_ the system, like IBM and Intel.

> Well, _nothing_ is certified for Linux currently. In fact, I'm not
> aware of any certification body.

"Certification" can be self-certification.  Many vendors don't even provide
real Linux support, but at least commit to providing something they know
works with specific distros.  In this case, it seems Phillips made that
claim, and maybe I'm too hard on them and it really would have plugged
right into a specific RedHat system.

--
derek