Philips webcam

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Sun Jan 6 17:40:36 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> As I must suspend to RAM and I need the fglrx driver (Google Earth,
> and Compiz which is not just eyecandy for me), I cannot use Gutsy. I
> believe that I may be able to compile a SLAB kernel under Gutsy, but
> at this stage I'll wait for [k]ubuntu 8.xx and install that.

Can you explain what about Compiz is not eye candy to you?  I'm just
trying to understand.  I've flip-flopped a few times before I settled on
the open source ati driver - purely because it lets me hibernate.  I
don't need GoogleEarth on that machine so that was not an issue to me.

If it is that annoying what's stopping you from buying a cheapo Nvidia card?

Anyways the problem is not that Gusty doesn't support your hardware, it
is that AMD/ATI is unable to ship a working driver for their hardware.

I'm in the same boat with my garbage x550.  I don't plan on buying ATI
again unless they get their act together.

-d