eran sent you a friend request on Yaari...

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jan 5 22:53:14 UTC 2008

Liam Proven wrote:
> Arguably that's an admirable POV from a security perspective, but I
> confess, I allowed my half-a-dozen social networking sites one-time
> access to all my webmail accounts so they could tell me who there was
> that I already knew that was on the network. It's a common thing.
> However, I stick to the more reputable sites, like LinkedIn, Facebook,
> Myspace and Orkut; they've done nothing wrong, at least to me.

That seems really weird to me. And I don't mean you personally but all
people on these social networking sites who give away account details.
There is no site on the internet reputable enough to get access to any of
my email accounts. Am I suffering from paranoia? I don't think so. When I
signed up for any of my email accounts, there was an information telling
me that I should not give away the password for the account - and even
the provider would never ask for the password by email or phone. Is that
not a standard?

Would you give me access to your email account? I hope not. You don't know
me. You only know there is someone out there with a certain email address
who claims to have a certain name. And if you don't give me access to
your email account, why is ANY social networking site more trustworthy
than me? Do you know those who wrote the software for those sites? Or
those who operate the sites?

Any site who asks for account details is absolutely NOT trustworthy.
Nobody knows, if during the one-time access to an email account all
available mail folders are copied for data mining purposes. Of course
there are far better ways to find out if others you know are on the
network. The site should ask for a list of names and / or email
addresses. Then you have control of the list you give away, so the chance
of embarrassment is much smaller.

Nils