swap space

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jan 5 14:25:18 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> By definition /tmp/ should always be assumed (though not guaranteed) to
>> be empty after a boot.  I _have_ seen apps that didn't handle that
>> correctly, but they are buggy...
>
> Another option is to use tmpfs, if you have some RAM to spare.

You don't even need RAM - tmpfs uses virtual memory, so I make a big swap
file and allocate a GB to /tmp.

But what I meant is that the occasional app actually checks for a file to
have been left in /tmp when it starts up - and if you've rebooted there
shouldn't be one (and certainly won't if /tmp is on a tmpfs).
--
derek