Installing Ubuntu

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 05:22:05 UTC 2008

debian wrote:
> `
> <snip>
>

>> Should I format the partition I'm trying to install Ubuntu on while in
>> Windows before trying to install it?
>>

> No ubuntu will do the formatting for the linux partition for you.
> besides, you cant view windows partitions in windows w/o the use of
> third party software.
>

>>  If so, is ntfs what I need to format it in?
>>
> no, linux will not be able to install on an NTFS partition. it requires
> atleast an ext2/ext3 partition. (one that windows isnt able to view)
>

>> Or am I doing something wrong in the Ubuntu side? I'd really
>> appreciate any help! I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop.
>>

> Heres something i recommend you do before repartitioning:
> In windows, run the hard disk defragmenter. That way you will minimize
> the chance of loosing data. If it tells you that defragmenting isnt
> necessary, i recommend you do it anyway just in case.
>
> also, if you have the regular ubuntu cd (not the alternate install),
> they have a windows installer on the cd titled "wubi-cdboot.exe" Run
> that program, it will make dualbooting much much easier and wont resize
> your partition (instead, it will create a virtual partition on your hard
> disk)
>
> --cj

I'm pretty ignorant about this matter, since I haven't used Windows in
about 8 years, but,
is it really safe to put your ubuntu install on a virtual partition on a
windopes install?
I mean...is *anything* safe on a windows partition?
I don't know...I wouldn't trust any important data to a windows
install...I guess I'm a little prejudiced.
I have three dual boot machines in my office...
Two are Ubuntu and Linguas OS (both Linux), and one is
Ubuntu/WinXP...but, I don't use
the XP machine.  That one belongs to the Mrs., and she only boots XP to
use a few
games and programs that are windopes only (some house designer software,
and Sims2).

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

mais la langue, aucun homme ne peut la dompter;
c'est un mal qu'on ne peut réprimer;
elle est pleine d'un venin mortel.