Grub Error 17

anthony baldwin anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 01:08:38 UTC 2008

Allan Valeriano wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 8:51 PM, anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Check this out:
>> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/GRUB_error_17_after_kernel_update
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> grub error 17 "Cannot mount selected partition" happens usually because
>> the "root" argument given to grub is wrong. At the grub menu, press 'e'
>> and check the "root (hd0,2)" or similar line. You can go into command
>> mode with 'c' and use the 'find' command to locate the right partition,
>> for instance: find /boot/grub/menu.lst
>>

> I can't reach the grub menu. The error appear before it loads
>

>> Once you have found the right (hdx,y) partition, edit the root line in
>> the grub menu. After booting up, edit the #groot= line in
>> /boot/grub/menu.lst and run 'sudo update-grub'.
>> (lifted from
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+question/14606)
>>
>> The first seems link basically says the first thing, more or less.
>>
>> Can you boot the computer from the livecd?
>> That way, you could edit your grub.conf, e2fsck or any other thing you
>> need to do that
>> you are currently unable to do, since the derned thang won't boot.
>>

> I can boot from the livecd, but it seems that the /boot/grub dir is
> not there. I tryed e2fsck, but couldn't figure out how to get it to
> ork. =/
> Any other way?

I'm not exactly an expert with grub, but, I'm trying to use my limited
knowledge to assist.  Likely I should leave the matter to someone with
greater knowledge...
all the same -
How/where are looking for the /boot/grub directory?

I mean, when the Livecd is in, it should mount your hdd, and you should
see it on the desktop...
You are looking in there for /boot/grub, right?
It won't be in your /home directory, either...
I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence here, because I intend to
assist,
and not offend.
If you are, and don't find it, you need to reinstall grub.

With the LiveCD in, have you tried to reinstall grub?
That might be your best bet.

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

mais la langue, aucun homme ne peut la dompter;
c'est un mal qu'on ne peut réprimer;
elle est pleine d'un venin mortel.